The first thing I tell people about transitioning from relaxed hair is that it takes PATIENCE! I decided to go natural about 10 years ago. I was so frustrated in the beginning because I lacked patience. I struggled with styling as well as finding the right products ( one of the reasons Carrie J Hair Care was started). I probably spent hours watching youtube also. If you are transitioning or thinking about it, I want to help make your journey easier than mine was. So, here are some of my tips for transitioning:
- Trim your hair often. I trimmed my hair every 3 months while transitioning. This just helps to get rid of those straight ends. I eventually cut my hair into a bob to speed up the process.
- Use little to no heat. This includes hair dryers also. If you choose to put heat on your hair, be sure to use heat protectants before doing so. (A few drops of Carrie J Restorative Hair Oil makes a great heat protectant)
- Try to wear protective styles as much as possible. Braids, twists, sew-ins, or even roller sets such as flexi rods and perm rods.
- Moisturize your hair daily. Even when you are wearing protective styles continue to moisturize. If you do not keep your hair moisturized, it will be extremely dry and will eventually cause breakage.
- Deep condition weekly for at least an hour at a time. Be sure to use a plastic cap also. Sitting under a dryer while deep conditioning helps to penetrate the hair.
These tips for sure made transitioning easier for me. So I hope they will help you on your journey as well. Hang in there and remember to be patient! ;o)